2016 Garden Projects
This year I will try a few Hydroponic experiments and plant a few herbs and a popular Red Pepper
Here are some good links;
Various Hydroponic Types
I planted a European type of sweet pepper this year and it did very well. It produced 2 - 3 times as much as my Jalapeno's
This year the Blueberries did OK, we harvested about 4 kg and the birds finally figured out that they like to eat them, so I needed to chase them away.
I added a 1000lb or so of manure to many of the garden boxes this spring, and the plants that did the best with this new fertilizer was the grapes. We harvested about 15 gallons of concord types this year. That is the best ever. To combat the birds I hung up a fake owl. That seemed to keep all the birds away except one species of sparrow. They were never alarmed at that thing, and would fly right past it on their way to eat grapes!
This was the first year I ever grew Brussels Sprouts and they yielded very well. I was able to pop off about a dozen off one plant once or twice per week when they were growing good. Once the weather became cooler in October, then they kept producing when most other plants were dead. This fall was very mild with no really cold weather until the third week of November, Brussels Sprouts right until the 3 third week of November!!
This was also the first year I tried growing spices and herbs. Thyme was my favourite, although parsley grew better. Thyme is a very tasty herb for roast beef, so I kept the poor plant trimmed back all summer. Another plant that was very impressive was peppermint. It grows very well, but it has such a nice flavour that it also was very pruned back. I went to the local greenhouse and nursery and tested all of the mints by pressing the leaves and smelling which plant had the nicest aroma. I bought the one that seemed best to me, and from that little 4" plant, I was able to transplant into 3 five gallon pails and collect several baggies of dried peppermint leaves for winter. The Peppermint died over the winter unlike our local wild mint.
While my girls were picking wild blueberries to sell, they brought back a wintergreen plant they had found. I dried the fruit and collected the seeds to try this winter to germinate. They have a slow and careful germination process. Results for that project might be in 2017 Projects